ASTM Announces Abstract Submission Deadline for Upcoming
Building Envelope Symposium
ASTM has announced it is seeking abstract submissions for its symposium
titled "Up Against the Wall: An Examination of Building Envelope
Interface." The symposium is sponsored by ASTM Committee E06
on Performance of Buildings and E06.51.11 on Fenestration Installation
and is scheduled to take place November 1, 2007, in Tampa, Fla.,
at the Tampa Marriott Waterside. The abstract submission deadline
has been extended to December 15, 2006.
According to organizers, the objectives of this symposium are: to
present and publish peer-reviewed data in all areas related to window
and door installation and materials related to integration to the
building envelope; and to achieve a matrix of information based
on test data that can be verified, and that will enable the user
to compare and select installation methods and materials for performance
under different conditions.
Some possible paper topics include:
- Installation methods that work, but are not in ASTM practice
- When does self-adhered flashing stick? To what? Under what conditions?
- Where should you place the window in the wall for thermal efficiency
and to match drainage planes of the window with the wall?
- Regional installation methods requiring new standards;
- New technology - materials;
- Forgotten basic principles of water management;
- Code changes regarding installation;
- Most surprising changes in installation in the past decade;
- Most urgent need to be addressed by installation standards.
The call for papers and abstract are available at http://www.astm.org/MEETINGS/COMMIT/e06symp0507.html.